MUCFP U17 v Sligo Rovers U17 8th April 2017

Under 17’s SSE Airtricity League

Monaghan United/Cavan FP 1 – 5 Sligo Rovers

With little between the sides for the opening 12 minutes the visitors pounced to take the lead with a powerful strike from 20 yards to the roof of the net by Seamus Keogh. This resulted with some good end to end stuff with the home side seeing plenty of the ball but the final pass always seem to let them down. Sligo were looking the more dangerous on the counter attack. They should have doubled their lead when O Reilly was put through his attempt struck the crossbar and the ball rebounded to him to give him a second chance but a smart save from the keeper David Hayes denied him. Sligo were now applying the pressure and the home team escaped again three minutes later whenChris Sombete showed a cool head under pressure to clear his line. Monaghan/Cavan were starting to get more into the game and an excellent move down the left wing taken up by Bradley Okaidja who picked out Aaron Mc Cabe who under intense pressure passed to Mark Melvin who shot low across goal only for the Sligo keeper to get down to fingertip it out for a corner. From the resultant corner Rovers quickly broke down field with O’Connor being sent clean through, he had more time than he thought but he rushed his strike sending it poorly wide. Another good move by the home side up the left finished with a poor cross from Okaidja. Rovers continued to be dangerous on the counter and again were denied by an excellent save from the keeper although wrong-footed when the ball deflected of one of his defenders. Monaghan/Cavan were handed a lifeline on 36 minutes when Thierra Baba brought down Seosamh Sheerin for a penalty which Sheerin converted. From the restart Sligo almost went ahead again when O’Reilly was put through only to strike over. However for the final 10 minutes of the half the home side were a last getting into the game and probably the halftime whistle came at the wrong time for them as it was their best period of attacking play of the game.
Second half commenced in a similar manner to the first with nothing between the sides until in 52nd minute following a good move down the wing was finished by a powerful strike from Rovers No.10 Kerrigan to restore their lead. Monaghan/Cavan tried hard to get back but Rovers were proving very dangerous on the counter attack, the keeper Hayes denied them with a number of excellent saves and it was from one of such which the Rovers got their third of the game when he diverted the ball out for the corner. A powerful header from Byrne made put Sligo 2 up. Rovers were now in control they stretched their lead in 80 minute When Mc Allister shot low to the net. A minute later saw another brilliant saves by Hayes again from McAllister. With time running out in 88 minute Byrne completed his brace.
It was a very disappointing result for the \partnership it was a game that apart from a period each side of halftime that they never really got into. Although he was beaten on fine occasions the keeper Hayes gave a man of the match performance with a string of brilliant saves and could not be faulted for any of the scores. It was a good Sligo side but Monaghan/Cavan are a lot better than this score line would suggest, hopefully they can put it behind them and learn from the experience.
Monagan Utd/Cavan FP : Hayes ,Melvin, Duffy, Pilvinis, Sombete,Ward, Swinburne, Sheerin, Mc.Cabe, Brady, Okaidja.
Subs : Zenkduac, O’Connor, Mulligan, Garrigan, Murdock, O’Callaghan